Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Working Backwards

Between sleepless nights, afternoon naps (for myself) and a teething baby, I have been a little MIA this past week.  I finally had a chance to finish cutting all the squares and half-square triangles I need to make my first wonky star quilt out of some beloved Sherbet Pips fabric.  I am in LOVE with this fabric and can't wait to see how it's going to turn out.  But, realistically, I think it's going to take a while since I've been spending most evenings sequestered in bed watching tv with knitting needles in hand.


The bottom right square is what the star points are supposed to look like.  While I was rushing to get some sewing and cutting done this week, I managed to butcher a block by cutting off the piece I had just sewn to it.  You know when something is so simple right in front of you, but you just can't figure it out?  Well, my rotary cutter had an unfortunate incident with a newly sewn star point.  Luckily I had enough of that bit of fabric left to make a new star point and replace the one I hacked. 



You'd think one step backwards would be enough for this girl, but no, I had to add another one in just for good measure.  Below is my progress on the cowl I'm making myself out of the Handmaiden Sea Silk I bought in Merrickville.  There are a total of 260 stitches in a lace and cable pattern.  Last night, I had to undo a total of 272 stitches, including cables and lace, because I started the wrong pattern in the previous round.  If there's one thing I hate more than having to undo stitches, it's having to undo cables.  Let's hope that two steps backwards = better luck (and diligence) next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment